Seafood Casserole

I hope you were able to vote today! My family and I were able to vote but not without difficulty. I think my grandmother was the only one who was able to vote quickly and without a hitch. They give priorities to senior citizens, disabled and pregnant women. It takes quite a while but please have patience. This is important for us as a nation. 

On with the food program: 

I was on a seafood roll the week I made the tanigue stew. And because I still had some leftover white wine, I decided to cook a simple seafood casserole. I only used 3 kinds of seafood - fish, shrimps and squid. I didn't want to add shellfish as I heard some people in Makati Med discussing the dangers of shellfish saying that the toxins that they ingest stay in their bodies and thus transferred to humans when we eat the shellfish. I don't know if this is true but there's no harm in not eating shellfish. The result was still excellent.


This is great to cook in the same batch (or week) as the tanigue stew because of some similarities in the ingredients. That way, you get to maximize the use of your ingredients.

You will need some olive oil, some chopped onions, leeks (which I didn't have at the time), garlic, canned tomatoes, 2 bay leaves, chopped parsley, 1/4 cup white wine, salt and pepper, seafood of your choice and fresh oregano to garnish. I didn't have fresh oregano so I sprinkled some dried oregano on the sauce.

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onions, leeks and garlic. Cook until fragrant. Add the canned tomatoes, bay leaves, parsley, wine, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Make sure that your mixture doesn't dry up. Stir in the fish (if using), make sure that your fish is firm so as not to crumble up. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the shellfish (if using). Add the remaining seafood. Cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes. 

Cook this when the weather is cooler. You'll enjoy it. If not serving rice, make sure you have some hard bread to sop up the sauce. 

Comments