Shrimps with Spicy Coconut Sauce


It looks like that because it's frozen. I made this the night before and stuck it in the freezer so it won't spoil when I bring it to work the following day. When I arrived in the office I put this in the freezer too and just nuked it in the microwave come lunch time. 

MB and I love gata dishes, dishes with coconut milk. And we both love spicy food so this is a slam dunk dish for us.

You will need some large shrimps, dried chilies, S&P, 1 teaspoon turmeric, finely chopped ginger, garlic, EVOO, 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, onions, coconut milk, green chilies, juice from one calamansi (optional).

Place the shrimps, dried chilies, salt and pepper, turmeric, ginger and garlic in a bowl and set aside. Heat the oil in a pan and saute the cumin and mustard seeds until fragrant. I skipped the cumin because I didn't have any. Add the onions and cook until transparent. Add the shrimp mixture and saute. Add the coconut milk and sliced green chilis. You can also add the calamansi juice at this point if using. 

You can adjust the amount of coconut milk as you please. MB likes the sauce so I used a whole can. You can use just a cup for 1 1/2 lbs of large shrimps for a drier dish. 

I wanna hear from you! What's your favorite gata dish?

Comments