Shrimps and Squash in Coconut Milk

My grandmother is from Bicol so naturally I like foods prepared with coconut milk. MB is from down south but he likes gata dishes too.

shrimp and squash in coconut milk, 240baon

I saw a can of Thai coconut milk in the kitchen before going to the supermarket so I thought I should use it. I still had some leftover shrimps in the freezer so I only got squash, chili and bagoong for this recipe.

It’s very easy to make. Finely chop some garlic and onions and saute them in a little oil. Then add the squash. I added about half a cup of water to cook the squash faster. When the water has evaporated, I added about 2-3 tablespoons of bagoong (shrimp paste). I then added a can of coconut milk. Allow this to boil then lower the heat to simmer. Lastly, add the shrimps and the chilies. I used the green ones for sinigang. You can use bird’s eye chilies if you want a spicier dish. Season with salt and pepper.

The squash was so sweet that I added more salt. It was so good! We had some leftovers and I served that with some fried salted fish and Sukang Pinakurat.

Comments