My Allergy-Friendly Bibimbap

A little bit of disclaimer - not everyone has the same allergies. When I say a dish is allergy-friendly, I am mostly referring to myself and those who are allergic to the same foods as I am. Now that we got that out of the way, let's get on with the show. 

When I discovered that I didn't react to Korean food, it became a staple on our nightly menu for a few weeks. I was so food deprived that being able to add another dish or another ingredient to my repertoire made me so elated. No kidding. I went through depression and cooking is one of the things that make me happy. How can I cook on a limited ingredient/dish list? I think this bibimbap was one of the first decent meals that I ate during my period of urticaria. 


Korean food uses a lot of fermented ingredients which are very high in histamine. If you know you are allergic to histamine-rich foods, you might want to be very careful when tasting/eating Korean food.


This is my version of an allergy-friendly bibimbap. Check out the list of ingredients and if they are safe for you, then give this a try. 

You need:

cooked rice
chayote instead of zucchini (zucchini makes me react)
carrots
cucumbers
beef strips or beef shreds (I usually go with whatever is cheap or on sale as long as they are tender cuts)
cooked eggs (I skipped the whites as I'm allergic)
salt 
canola oil
sesame seeds
sesame oil
garlic
soy sauce
brown or muscovado sugar instead of honey
I also skipped the gochujang as it's made from peppers and night shades are a no-no for active urticaria
fried tofu squares
rice vinegar (vinegar is high in histamine)
pepper

Let's do this!

Julienne all the vegetables. Place in separate bowls and season with a little salt. Set aside. 

Prepare the beef by mixing it with some minced garlic, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and sesame seeds. Let this marinate for about 20 minutes. 

Add some oil to a pan. Squeeze out the excess liquid from the carrots then add to the pan to cook. Remove from the pan and set aside. Clean the pan. 

Add some oil again. Squeeze out the excess liquid from the chayote then add to the pan to cook. Remove from the pan and set aside. 

In a bowl, combine rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix together and add the cucumber sticks. 

In a separate pan, add some oil. Pan fry the beef. You can heat up the marinade and use as a sauce. 

To assemble, get a bowl and add some rice. Top with the vegetables and beef. Add the fried tofu. Add the egg in the center. You can also use sunny side up eggs and break the yolks, add some sauce and then mix everything together. Yum!




Comments