Simple Sukiyaki at Home

We love shabu-shabu but they can be very expensive so we limit them to special occasions. One day while we were grocery shopping, I saw a tray of Wagyu Beef. The price was right so I immediately put it in my cart and planned a simple sukiyaki for dinner. (Sukiyaki uses a sweet-soy sauce and shabu-shabu uses a clear broth)


Sukiyaki, like shabu-shabu is a fun way of having dinner with the family. It involves minimal prep. All you need to do is chop up the ingredients and prepare the cooker. Of course, we don't have a traditional sukiyaki cooker so I just used my multicooker instead. My son and husband had a blast cooking their own food. 








You need:


thinly sliced beef
vegetables of your choice (I used carrots, wombok pechay, enoki mushrooms; I wish shiitake mushrooms were more affordable)
tofu cut into cubes
noodles of your choice (I used vermicelli)
spring onions (I forgot to buy so I skipped that)
brown sugar (I used muscovado)
dashi (my allergy was still active during this time so I used a beef cube instead)
mirin
soy sauce

Let's do this!

Let's do the sauce first. This is my allergy-friendly version as I skipped the sake. Combine 1 cup mirin, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 cup soy sauce in a small pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat and set aside.

Chop up all the vegetables. Set aside.

Season the meat with some sugar and the sauce. Add some oil into the cooker. Sear the meat in the cooker. Set aside.

Now the fun part. In the same cooker, pour some water, some of the sukiyaki sauce and one beef cube. If you are using dashi, skip the cube. Let the mixture boil then put the rest of the ingredients in. You can also leave the meat to simmer in the sauce but I didn't so as not to overcook them. Let this cook for a few minutes. Distribute some bowls and enjoy your easy to cook but delicious dinner!







Comments