Two Super Cheap, Super Simple Meals

We do groceries twice a month and when we are on the last few days of the second week, I try to stretch our ingredients as much as I can. That means, if we had meats on week 1, we will have mostly vegetables by the end of week 2 and whatever's left in the fridge. These two meals are great examples.

Sardines Saute

This first one is made from a can of Ayam Sardines. Ayam is currently my favorite brand of sardines as the fish are clean and it doesn't have all that yucky, slimy things (guts) you normally find in local brands. The fish is clean tasting, none of that very fishy, weird taste. Yes, I am very particular with my sardines. 

This is a very simple dish that even guys can make. My husband was the one who cooked this as I wasn't feeling well that night. He also took the photos here so sorry if they seem rushed as he was already hungry. 

You need:


a can of your favorite sardines
chopped garlic
sliced onions
water
salt and pepper
oil

Let's do this!

In a pan, heat some oil. I always use canola oil for a healthier choice. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the sardines and break it up into smaller chunks. Add about a cup of water and boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with plenty of rice and some fried eggs. 


This second dish is also cheap, fast but tasty. I had some leftover string beans in the fridge and some leftover shrimps. Coconut milk is a staple in my house so I decided to cook this. These were already leftovers and my husband served it with the dish above. 


Shrimp and Sitaw in Coconut Milk

You need:

a bunch of string beans
some shrimp [use the pang-gisa (small) size to save money]
chopped garlic
chopped onions
small pack of coconut milk
salt and pepper
oil

Let's do this!

In a pan, saute the onions in some oil until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the shrimps and cook for 30 seconds. Add the string beans and cook for a minute. Pour the coconut milk. Boil then reduce to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the beans reach your desired doneness. 

Comments