My (Almost) Perfect Homemade Okoy/Ukoy


I have been dreaming of cooking okoy/ukoy but I just couldn't find alamang or these tiny shrimps like krill. Why? Simply because I don't look in our palengke (wet market) but getting this cyst gave me a proactive attitude. I have decided to explore our market and find fresh food including the alamang I used for these okoy/ukoy.

I think I got carried away with excitement as I bought half a kilo (which only costs Php50!). This amount resulted to plenty of leftover ukoy which was okay.

I dream of cooking really crispy okoy, you know, the thin ones that come packaged? I really want to cook those but I haven't gotten the correct recipe yet. Soon I will. In the mean time, please enjoy this recipe.

Shrimp Okoy/Ukoy

half a kilo alamang, washed thoroughly
1 carrot, shredded 
equal parts cornstarch and flour
salt and pepper
a little bit of water
lots of oil for frying

Let's do this!

After shredding the carrots squeeze out the liquid. I want crispy okoy and the liquid will make it soggy. 

In a bowl, combine equal parts of cornstarch and flour. I used 1/3 cup of each. Add some salt and pepper. Mix. Add a little bit of water, about 1/4 cup. Mix. If the batter is too thick, add some more water. You want a light slurry. Add the alamang and mix well. 

In a pan or wok, heat some oil. Fry the ukoy in batches. I used a spoon to scoop out the ukoy batter and flattened them as much as I can in the pan. Drain on a wire rack. Do not place on paper towels as they will get soggy. 

We enjoyed this with Sukang Pinakurat and a salad of eggplants, tomatoes, onions and red eggs. We also had some green mango slices and bagoong. I tried really, really hard to lessen my bagoong intake as I'm also lowering the salt in my diet. I was successful but felt really deprived. = (  But, my health comes first! =D





Comments