My Own Version of Tanigue Steak

I love seafood but for some reason I have a hard time preparing fish dishes. I only fry them or make fish & chips. Last Saturday I saw some nice looking tanigue steaks at SM supermarket so I decided to buy 2 slices.

I didn't want to make the usual buttered tanigue steak and so I experimented with the flavors I have on hand.

First I marinated the fish in the juice of 2 calamansi (calamondin) for about 30 minutes. I mixed 1 tablespoon of light soy sauce (I use Kikkoman), 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce, half a tablespoon of chili-garlic sauce and some pepper.

Next, heat a small amount of oil in a shallow pan. Brush both sides of the fish with the mixture and place on pan when the oil has heated through. Continue brushing the fish on both sides. Be careful as the oil splatters when the sauce comes in contact with it. I had a few splatters on my arm but didn't mind because the smell of the fish cooking was mouth-watering.

Lastly I garnished it with some sliced leeks. It was sweet, salty and spicy. Just the way I like it. Migraine Boy loved it as well. We shared just one slice. (That's how tipid we are) = )

I also served some herbed rice which is very easy to make. Heat some olive oil in a pan, add chopped garlic and cook until fragrant. Add some cold rice and mix until the grains are separated. Then add some butter, just enough to coat the rice and mix some more. Add herbs of your choice. I used oregano, basil, thyme and nutmeg. I wanted to add some fresh parsley but thought that the flavor would compete with the tanigue so I didn't. Add some pepper for that added kick and that's it! We had a wonderful dinner while watching 07-Ghost.

Comments