Saturday Afternoon Snack - Palitaw

I've always loved palitaw. I know it's very simple to make but I don't know why I haven't tried making my own yet.

Last week our lawyer was eating palitaw and so I thought of making one (finally!). I Googled the recipe and I was so happy to learn that my rice flour would be put to some good use (again, finally!) I bought a pack of rice flour thinking that I would make puto but until now I still haven't made some. = (

I followed the recipe I found and here's what I did. No substitutions, etc. as this is my first time making it.

I mixed 2 cups rice flour with 3/4 cups water. I actually added about 1-2 tablespoons more as the recipe said it should form a dough. Then I took a small portion, rolled it into a ball then flattened it using my palms. I have small hands, perfect for the classic palitaw shape.

Drop the palitaw in boiling water one by one. Be careful not to overcrowd them. When they float scoop them up and plunge in cold water to stop the cooking process. Dry with lots of paper towels.

Mix some grated niyog and sugar. You can also add some nice toasted sesame seeds for that added flavor. I ran out of sesame seeds so we had to settle for the niyog and sugar mix. You can sprinkle the mixture on top of the palitaw to serve as a "topping" or you can roll them in the mixture which was what I did.

This recipe yielded 14 pieces of palitaw. Estimated cost is Php20-25.

It was fun making this and we ate it while doing the laundry. We had enough for 3 persons. Even the cats liked it! Next time I'll try making puto.

Comments