Japanese Dinner 1- Fish in Classic Japanese Sauce

I'm loving Japanese inspired meals nowadays. They're easy to prepare, light, nutritious and delicious! For my first Japanese inspired dinner I cooked cream dory fillets in the classic Japanese sauce/soup - dashi, mirin, sake. I served this with Asian salad and corn egg drop soup.

Fish
Mix mirin, dashi and sake in a bowl. You can also add a little light soy sauce but be careful as the dashi you may be using might already be salty. Dump the mixture in a pan and allow to boil. Add the fish and cook until desired doneness. Top with sliced leeks.

Asian Salad
Tear lettuce into bite size portions. Julienne carrots. In a bowl mix water, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, pepper, chopped garlic and Spanish paprika. Adjust seasonings according to taste. Mix well. Let this sit while preparing the other dishes.

Egg drop soup
Take some broth, season with salt and pepper. Add chopped baby corn and allow to boil. When boiling, pour beaten egg in a thin stream, mixing the soup with a fork as you pour the egg.

After all the dishes are prepared, pour the dressing over your salad using a spoon. Don't include the ginger and chopped garlic.

Having a meal like this controls my rice intake. I only finish the rice in the bowl and don't go for seconds. Because I use chopsticks to eat, I tend to eat slowly making me aware when I'm already full. This is good for people who are on a diet or want to lessen their food intake.

Please also note that in the picture, I put the chopsticks on top of the bowl. This is a no-no in Japanese culture. I didn't know this until after a few days when I researched chopstick etiquette. Make sure that you place the chopsticks on a chopstick rest which I forgot to buy on my trip last night to Hatchin.

Comments