Steamed Fish for Baon

I'm fascinated with fish fillets nowadays. My rice intake has dwindled and I'm looking for other dishes that won't require me to eat too much rice. I'm not dieting. I just want to explore other dishes and flavors. I'm also looking for light dishes and fish fillet seems to fit the bill quite nicely. In the next few entries, I will be posting Japanese inspired meals. This baon is more Chinese inspired though.

This requires two parts of cooking. First, the pechay. Saute some garlic, ginger and onions in sesame oil. Add some water and 1 teaspoon sugar. Add the pechay and turn off the heat. Allow the pechay to cook in the sauce's heat. Transfer to your lunch box.

Put fish fillets in a bowl, small (or large) enough to fit your steamer. Pour 2 tablespoons each of water, sake and ginger, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 2 tablespoon light soy sauce and 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil. Season with pepper. Cover the steamer and cook for 10-15 minutes or until the fish turns a little flaky. When cooked, put the fish on top of the pechay and sprinkle with spring onions. Pour the sauce (from the fish) over the fish and spring onions to cook the onions.

You can also use bok choy in place of the pechay. I love, love this dish. It was light but satisfying.

Comments