Japanese Dinner 2 - Yakisoba

In Japan, yakisoba is considered as junk food. We munch on chips, they munch on noodles. Normally, yakisoba requires a ready made yakisoba sauce which I don't have. Actually, I've never seen one in the Japanese groceries that I frequent. Or maybe I'm just not asking. Anyway, here's my version.

Cook noodles according to package directions. I used Vietnamese noodles. In a bowl, mix together oyster sauce, soy sauce, mirin, sake and honey. Set aside. Fry beef in a pan. Transfer to a plate and set aside. In the same pan, heat some sesame oil. Saute some ginger and onions. Add some green pepper strips. Add julienned carrots and bean sprouts. Just a handful of bean sprouts will do. Add sliced cabbage. Pour the sauce. Add the noodles which have been drained and sprinkled with sesame oil. Mix and heat for about a minute. Serve hot.

That's some leftover corn eggdrop soup in the picture. Those pretty little things are renkon chips or lotus root. I bought them at the Korean grocery near our office. They come cut up and frozen. I've never seen fresh lotus root here though. Just thaw the renkon and fry in hot oil like you would french fries. Be careful as they cook fast. I didn't know that that's why some chips got burned. The taste? Much like fries! Just starchier. But they're really good. Migraine Boy didn't like them so much so what I did last Sunday was to coat them with powdered cheese. He loved them! I'll be experimenting with other flavors soon but for now I'll stick withthe powdered cheese while it still works its magic. Sneaky...



Yakisoba on FoodistaYakisoba

Comments