Char Kway Teow


I got too lazy (and sad) with MB being away that all my planned solo dishes went down the drain. I survived on instant meals and leftovers. Here's a backlog post.

Char kway teow is a Singaporean noodle dish. Lots of substitution here. I'll give you the original recipe first (taken from Whats 4 Eats):

  • Oil
  • Garlic, minced
  • Sambal oelek (chile paste)
  • Chinese sausages, sliced into rounds
  • Shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • Fresh rice noodles
  • Soy sauce
  • Brown sugar
  • Eggs, beaten
  • Mung bean sprouts
  • Scallions, chopped

  1. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy-bottomed pot over high flame. Add the garlic and sambal oelek and stir fry for about 30 seconds. Add the Chinese sausage and shrimp and stir fry until shrimp is almost cooked through.
  2. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the rice noodles, tossing them to heat through. Scrape the bottom of wok or pot frequently to minimize sticking. Then stir in the soy sauce and brown sugar and stir in to season the noodles.
  3. Scoop the noodles away from the center of the wok or pot and pour the beaten egg into the cleared space. Let the egg cook until just set, and then stir into the noodles.
  4. Add the sprouts and scallions and continue to cook, tossing frequently, until the sprouts are just cooked through. Adjust seasoning and serve.
My notes:
I used gojuchang because I didn't have sambal oelek. I used Shanghai sausage. My rating, 2.5 out of 5. I want to taste this first in a restaurant before I cook this again.

Comments