Deep Fried Shrimp

If you're a regular on this blog, you'd know my love affair with shrimp. I love, love, love shrimp. This is my first successful experiment at deep fried shrimp. Probably because of the new pan and the abundance of oil. As much as possible, I don't like cooking deep fried dishes as they waste too much oil. Now that I have the right "weapon", the oil isn't much of an issue. Plus the fact that we bought a big container of Wesson's at S&R when they were on sale. P500 only.

I used a dozen shrimps which cost me around P180. They're carefully selected white shrimp. I normally buy the smaller ones for quantity = cheaper but many but this dish needed the bigger ones.

For the batter, you will need 1/2 c flour, 1/3 c cornstarch, less than 1/2 cup water, 1T heated oil, 2t baking powder. Please note that when I use 'T' that means tablespoon. A small 't' means teaspoon. Combine the flour, cornstarch and baking powder. Silly me bought baking soda instead so that's what I used. It turned out okay. But I bought a box of baking powder last Sunday and will try that next time. Add the oil and mix. Pour the water. You need a thin consistency.

Coat the shrimp and deep fry in hot oil. Serve with cocktail sauce but since we don't have that, I served this with sweet chili sauce. Enjoy!

Comments