Hoisin Sesame Fish Rice


There are so many things that I want to improve on this dish. First, I wish I bought frozen fish fillets instead of the fresh ones. The guys at SM Makati did not do a good job on picking out the bones from the fish. They said the fillets were a mix of lapu-lapu and maya-maya. I thought it was all maya-maya. For a few small pieces of fish fillets, I paid a little less than P200 whereas had I bought the frozen ones, I would've paid about the same price for bigger pieces of meat. And without bones too.

The hoisin sesame fish went to our baon. The leftovers went to this dish. To make the fish, first wash the fish thoroughly. If they're too fishy smelling, wash with some calamansi or lemon juice first. Make sure you rinse off all the juice. In a bowl, combine cornstarch, chili flakes, salt and pepper. Dredge the bite size fish fillets then fry in oil. Discard the oil. In the same pan, put about 3-4 tablespoons of hoisin sauce and spread onto pan. Add the fish and coat with the sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. 

For the rice, saute some chopped garlic and onions in a pan. Add the chopped leftover fish. Add mashed rice then mix. Add about 2 tablespoons of bagoong then mix well. 

I would've liked it had I put some gochujang and Kikkoman. I didn't put gochujang because my mom doesn't like spicy food and I had to feed her that day. So I skipped that. I also didn't add soy sauce because we're watching her pressure and all. 

Another thing that bothered me were the bones which became a bit hard because of repeated cooking. It made the texture of the fish terrible. So, if you would like to try this dish, I suggest you get the best ingredients possible to make this a success. 

Comments