I Have a Confession: I'm A Flirt

Yes, I've been flirting. With Vegetarianism that is. Ever since I got sick back in my teenage years, I have changed my diet 360 degrees. I don't drink softdrinks and coffee. I avoid pork as much as I can. I don't eat chips as often and when I do, I try to find the healthier ones. I don't eat ice cream. I eat frozen yogurt. Although Haagen-Dazs is an exception because it's the only ice cream my lactose intolerant tummy can tolerate. 

For years now, I've been trying to find healthy alternatives to different types of food. I thank the people who brought Healthy Options to our shores. I've been going in and out of Healthy Options ever since it opened a few years back. When I first came in I thought the food was soooo expensive. I thought that was going to be my last visit. But as I researched about food, nutrition and illnesses, the more it made sense to go back there or to any other store like it. I justify the cost against my medical and medicine bills. It always made sense to me - to heal my body through food and to pay more for food that will make me healthy. I don't want to go back to taking 13 different meds each day. That was awful. After that, I decided to focus my energy looking for alternative ways to heal myself both physically and emotionally. The first person to take me on this journey was Maureen Salaman. Her book inspired me to change my diet. I was about 15 or 16 back then.

Another person who is trying to convince me is my good friend Alicia. You all know her. Sure, we're not personal friends but I feel we really are as her passion grows on me. And when I read what she writes, I am taken one step closer to her and her kind life.

So going back to food and Healthy Options, isn't it better to spend 250 pesos on something you can eat that you know will make you healthy rather than spending it on a few pieces of meds with contents you are clueless (pardon the pun) of?

Here is an example of that:


One box costs P255. You get about 20 flatbreads which contain spelt flour, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, spices, etc. It's all natural and low-fat with no trans fats or cholesterols. I eat this as a snack. One piece satisfies my hunger pangs. I usually eat this a few minutes before doing Yoga. Yes, I do Yoga... Did Pilates before and now I'm hooked on Yoga. 

The taste gets a lot of getting used to though. MB didn't like it. He almost gagged when he took a bite. I, on the other hand, love it! I like the taste of the seeds intermingling in my mouth then the aftertaste of sesame seeds. I've always liked sesame seeds. I used to pluck them out of those McDonald's burgers when I was a kid. 

Today I brought 2 pieces to work which I intend to eat for merienda with half of my Babybel (which I tasted for the first time). And if you're wondering what lunch was, I had a salad and a few apple slices. Did I get full? Yes, satisfied full. 

So what does this new diet mean for 240 baons? It won't change anything except the fact that I will be featuring more health conscious food choices. Am I going vegan/vegetarian? No. I can't give up fried/adobo chicken and shrimps. Shrimps are my absolute favorite food in the whole world. But I will lessen my intake of these two. I will still cook and feature food with meat in them. I can't let Migraine Boy starve, no! But I just want you to know the change that is happening to me. So stick with me okay? I can't do this alone. 





Comments