7-Up Shrimps

This is a recipe that most Filipinos are familiar with. I don't know if our international readers do this as well. I grew up with 7-Up shrimps. Whenever my grandmother had a kilo or two of shrimps around, she would make this quick dish to satisfy everyone in the family. We had an extended family in the old house. Everybody was there and there were a lot of mouths to feed. This makes for a wonderful lunch (or breakfast) with the family. Using your hands to eat this with freshly cooked rice isn't a bad idea either. 

It's very easy to make. You will need shrimps, a bottle of 7-Up, some chopped garlic. Others put butter in this as well. I don't. I think the 7-Up is too much already.

Heat some olive oil or canola oil in a pan. Add the chopped garlic. Cook until fragrant. Add the shrimps. Pour  1/4 to half a small bottle of 7-Up depending on the amount of shrimps that you have or depending on how much sauce you want to pour on your rice later. Turn up the heat to high. Season with salt or fish sauce or in my case, some fish sauce and Maggi Savor. When boiling, cover the pan to steam the shrimps. Once the shrimps turn a bright orange, remove the lid and serve immediately. 

If you haven't tried this yet, I suggest you go and buy some shrimps now! 

Comments