Tanigue Stew

I suck at cooking fish. The only thing I've perfected is frying fish that's why I'm not too adventurous when it comes to seafood, with cooking that is. Seafood is just too expensive to botch. This particular dish is quite easy to make and I didn't botch it!


It looks all mixed up because I forgot to take a pic of MB's baon. I was supposed to stay home that day but felt better a couple of hours before lunch and so I immediately packed baon for myself. Too bad we ran out of Lock & Lock's so I just put the stew and the rice together in one lunch box. I didn't mind because the rice absorbed the sauce and made it so flavorful!

You will need:
  • 2 tanigue slices
  • olive oil
  • some chopped leeks (you can use a combination of the white and green parts)
  • crushed garlic
  • dried oregano
  • oyster mushrooms
  • 1 stalk celery
  • tomato paste
  • canned tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup to 1 cup white wine
  • basil (if you have fresh use that otherwise use dried)
  • chopped parsley
Heat the oil then add the garlic and the leeks. Cook until soft. Add the oregano, mushrooms and celery. Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir in some tomato paste, about 2T and the wine. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Add the fish. Cook the fish, take care not to overcook. Stir in the basil and parsley. Be careful when you transfer the fish to a plate or in my case, a lunchbox, as the fish might fall apart. You can serve this with rice or mashed potatoes. If you're a Filipino, you'll probably serve this with both. = )

*Kids won't probably like this dish because of the complexity of the flavors. If you love pasta and seafood, you might enjoy this dish. 

Comments