My Attempt at Kamameshi Rice


This is my somewhat futile attempt at Kamameshi Rice. What went wrong? First, I didn't have long grain rice. This is premium rice. Second, I really suck at cooking in a rice cooker except for that wonderful Hainanese Chicken Rice that I made one Christmas back when I was a teenager. 

This is quite easy so I don't think you can botch it like I did. You will need:
  • 2c long grain rice
  • 1/3c Kikkoman
  • 2T sake
  • 2T oil
  • 1T sugar
  • 1/4t pepper
  • 1 small sachet Maggi Magic Sarap
  • chicken breast fillet, cubed
  • shiitake mushrooms, sliced into desired size
  • 2c water
  • 1T  dashi
  • 4T butter
  • shrimps, deveined
  • diced carrots
  • sliced beans
  • spring onions
  • 1/2c water
Combine first 12 ingredients in a rice cooker. Mix well and cook until done. If you think the rice is too dry, add water little by little, about half a cup will do. I had to add more than one cup. Add the remaining ingredients and cover once again to let the veggies and shrimps cook. 

My version was okay. Not slam dunk great but just plain okay. MB ate a lot. I didn't like it that much. I was still looking for that authentic Kamameshi taste. Another thing is that some parts were crispy and the other parts were still a tad hard while some parts were perfectly cooked. Hmmm... Must be the rice cooker. 

I got this recipe from Yummy mag so do tell me how it works out for you. I give this a 3 out of 5 stars because it was still edible and surprisingly flavorful.

Comments