Crispy Pork Belly and Adobo Rice

I wanted to cook simple dishes last week so our groceries consisted of ingredients that are easy to prepare. One of them was pork belly or liempo. I’m not a good pork cook. I’ve only started cooking it when Table E opened so I only have a small repertoire of pork dishes. What I did with this meal was I boiled the pork belly until all the liquid has evaporated and let it fry in its own fat until crispy.

pork belly and adobo rice, 240baon


I then proceeded to make it like adobo. By the way, I boiled the pork in water with a bit of salt, crushed pepper and laurel leaves. I then added soy sauce and vinegar and let it simmer. We had some leftover rice and I spooned the hot sauce over the rice and mixed it quickly, making sure that each grain is coated with the sauce. I left a bit of sauce in the pork as MB likes soupy/saucy adobo.

I underestimated the amount of pork so I didn’t eat much because when I tasted it, I knew that MB would love it and I left some for his baon the next day. This is a great dish that does not take too long to cook. I dumped the pork in water, took a shower and when I got out, the pork was already frying so I just lowered the heat to low and went up to comb my hair, etc. When I got back to the kitchen, the pork was ready. MB was surprised to see me with the cooked meal as he thought I haven’t started cooking yet because I took a bath. = ) Now that’s multitasking for you!

Comments