Korean Style Fried Chicken


Let me start by saying that my husband and I burned the sugar that is why the coating is very dark. He helped me cook this but in spite of that, we still managed to burn the sugar. hehe.

You need:

chicken wings with the tips cut off
salt and pepper
grated ginger
cornstarch
peanuts
garlic, minced
chili flakes
soy sauce
corn syrup
vinegar
brown sugar
sesame seeds

Let's do this!

Place the chicken in a bowl and season with salt and pepper and ginger. In a separate bowl, put the cornstarch. Dredge each chicken piece, pressing it so that the cornstarch adheres. Fry them in oil until they brown a little and set aside for 5 minutes then fry again until they feel super crunchy.

Make the sauce. Use a non-stick wok to do this. Add oil then saute the garlic and chili flakes for about 30 seconds. Add soy sauce, vinegar and corn syrup. Stir and let the mixture bubble for a few minutes. Add the brown sugar. Be careful with this part as the sugar burns quickly. Double check the stove that it is on the lowest setting. I forgot mine was on high. 

Add the chicken and mix so that they are fully coated. To serve, top with sesame seeds and peanuts if you like. 

This was really delicious! I served this with another Korean style side dish which I will feature next. 

Comments