Bake Day


A few Sundays ago, I decided to do some major baking. I baked some breakfast muffins and another batch of Food for the Gods. My oven is old and very temperamental so it's always a hit and miss. The Food for the Gods got burned at the top and bottom but the middle was perfectly fine..and delicious!

The breakfast muffins were a bit dry but I just smothered them with honey every time I ate one. My son really liked these though and immediately ate a piece after baking. My husband, on the other hand, went for the FFTG.

If you want to try the breakfast muffins, here's the recipe. But I warn you, this is still a trial recipe. I still have to tweak it.

You need:

1 can Vienna sausage (I wanted to use some good ground sausage but they are practically non-existent here)
7 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2c to 3/4c sugar (depends on how sweet you want your muffins)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese for topping

Preheat the oven to 400F or 204C. Prepare your muffin tray. I used muffin cups.

Chop up the sausage and cook until done. Drain on paper towels.

In a bowl, whisk five eggs. Pour in the same skillet you used for the sausage and cook the eggs, scrambled style. 

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk the remaining eggs, milk and oil. Add this to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Don't over mix. Fold in the cheese, sausage and eggs. 

Fill prepared muffin cups three-fourths full. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Do the toothpick test to see if the muffin is done. Insert a toothpick or fork in the center. If it's clean, your muffins are done. Cool before serving. I refrigerated mine for more than a week and we were able to finish all of them. 

If the muffins come out dry or lack sweetness, just drizzle some honey. Like I said, this is still a trial recipe. 

Comments