Pork Stew in Crab Fat and Coconut Milk



Words cannot describe how good this dish was. Man, I could eat it for 3 straight days for lunch and dinner without complaints. Even my son (who has become Mr. Picky, liked this a lot). 

It's soupy but that's because my family likes their rice to 'swim' in the soupy viand. 

This is not the healthiest of dishes so I would probably wait a month or so before cooking this again. On the other hand, I still have half a bottle of crab fat to use..decisions, decisions.

You need:

half a kilo (500 g) stewing pork
coconut milk
1/2 cup crab fat or aligue
garlic, lots of it!
sliced onions
tomatoes
finger chilies or siling pangsigang
water
fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
juice from 2-3 calamansi (depending on your taste)

Let's do this!

Saute the sliced tomatoes in some oil until a bit limp. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the chopped garlic. Cook until fragrant. Add the pork. Brown them on all sides. 

Add the chilies. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the crab fat and stir-fry for a minute. 

Add a cup of water, coconut milk (I used one tetra brick), fish sauce, sugar and calamansi juice. Simmer until the pork is tender, about 20 minutes or so. Be sure to stir every now and then and check the liquid level. Serve with lots and lots and lots of steamed rice. 

Oh, I served it with some sliced green mangoes too. It was perfect!




Comments