Homemade Onion Jam


I am so behind with my posts! This was from late December, I think. Anyway, my sister brought home some small native onions from Baguio. She doesn't cook a lot and I know I will be the one who needs to think of a way to use them. The problem is I hate using those tiny pearl onions because they are too labor intensive. Then one day, my husband brought home a bottle of sangria, a gift from the party. We don't drink so it sat in a corner, waiting for me to be inspired. Alas, it hit me! Homemade Onion Jam! I can use the onions and sangria in one go! If you are interested, here's the recipe.



You need:

1/4 c canola oil
native onions ( I didn't count. I just got a bunch of them. Peel and slice into quarters. This was so laborious, I almost gave up.  You can also use red onions)
salt and pepper
2 cups sangria


Gastrique:

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup rice vinegar (because that's what I had. You can use red wine vinegar)

Let's do this!

In a pan, heat the oil until it begins to smoke lightly. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions give up their liquid, around 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sangria. Lower the heat and cook until the sangria reduces almost completely. Leave on low heat while you prepare the gastrique. 

In a small pan, heat the honey until it begins to bubble and froth. Cook until it turns caramel in color. Add the vinegar and simmer for a few minutes on low heat. Turn off the heat. Pour the honey mixture over the onions and continue to cook over low heat until all the juice is absorbed and the onions are a jam-like consistency. This can take about 15 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. 

I served this with homemade burgers. It was fortunate that I unearthed my old grill from all our junk and so I used it to prepare our burger feast. The onion jam was so good. It was sweet and tangy. It was the perfect accompaniment to the savoury burgers. My husband loved it so much that he put blobs and blobs of it on his burger.



You an also use it with steak and pork chops. 





Comments