Nasi Lemak


I love Nasi Lemak but good Nasi Lemak is hard to find in Manila. My version is by no means authentic but it satisfies my craving. If you want to try making it at home, here's how.

You need


shrimps, shelled and deveined
sambal belachan / I used this
salt 

rice cooked with coconut milk or you can cook the rice with some pandan leaves

fried tofu cubes
boiled eggs
(I didn't have these two ingredients when I made this so I used whatever is in the fridge)

kangkong which I cooked with some oyster sauce and garlic

dilis (if you have)

cucumbers
roasted peanuts

mung bean sprouts (optional) I wanted to add some more crunch to my dish

Let's do this!

Marinate the prawns in a little bit of sambal (depending on how spicy you want your dish to be) and season with salt. Let this marinate for 20 minutes.

Cook the rice. Just substitute one cup of coconut milk for 1 cup of water. For example, if you cook with 2 cups water, make it 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water.

Let's cook the shrimps. Add oil to a wok. Cook the prawns until done. Set aside. If you want to add sambal to your fried tofu, just add them to the wok and season with more sambal if desired.

For the kangkong, heat oil in a pan. Add some pressed garlic. Cook until fragrant. Add the kangkong. Season with some oyster sauce and soy sauce. Set aside.

For the sprouts, I just blanched them in hot water and set aside. In a bowl, I mixed together some garlic, green onions, salt, fish sauce, sesame seeds and sesame oil. Mix well. Add the sprouts and mix by hand well.

All that's left is to assemble everything on a plate. Serve with a refreshing cold drink to cool down your tongue and taste buds! 








Comments