Bitter Gourd Side Dish



Wow, does that look bitter or what? Actually, even my son was able to eat this dish of bitter gourd. The secret? Plain old sugar. I always want to eat bitter gourd but my son and husband get tired of it fast so I have to be creative when cooking it. This simple side dish is the solution.

You need:

bitter gourd
oil
sugar
salt
crispy onions

Let's do this!

Prepare the bitter gourd by slicing it in half and scooping out the seeds using a spoon. Slice thinly. Put them in a colander and sprinkle with about 1/4 cup salt. Let this sit for about 2 minutes until the gourd 'sweats'. 

Get a few pieces and squeeze out the juice. I do this three times and then rinse them off with running water. This gets rid of some of the bitterness.

Heat some oil in a wok. Add the bitter gourd and stir fry for a minute. Add the sugar and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Serve on a plate and sprinkle with some crispy onions. 

Comments