Easy Bulgogi with Bean Sprouts Banchan


I love Korean food! Even more so when I discovered that I didn't react to it when my urticaria was very active. That being said, we had Korean food for several weeks. 

One of the most popular Korean dishes is bulgogi or beef barbecue. I love this dish but it's not always easy to make. Here is a quickie version though. I also made a banchan or side dish of bean sprouts which, in my opinion, should always accompany a Korean meal. 


You need:

1/4 kilo beef shreds or beef strips. I used shreds so that they will cook faster and they are a lot cheaper
2T soy sauce
2T water
1T brown sugar (I use Muscovado)
1T honey (I omit this when I'm having allergies)
1T sesame oil
half a pear, grated
1T toasted sesame seeds
chopped spring onions
chopped garlic
black pepper

For the bean sprouts:
bean sprouts
sesame oil
fish sauce
spring onions
garlic powder (the authentic version uses fresh, pressed garlic but I find it too bitter)
toasted sesame seeds
ice bath

Let's do this:

Mix all the ingredients for the marinade. Marinate the beef for 30 minutes. Cook in a pan and set aside. You can also place it on a hot/sizzling plate. 

Boil some water in a pan. Cook the sprouts until they change color. Drain and put in an ice bath. In a bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients together. Add the drained sprouts and mix well using your hands. Serve with the easy bulgogi and rice. 

Comments