Not Like Krispy Kreme but Still Delicious!


One morning, cousin C sent me a recipe for doughnut holes. I knew my ingredients were complete so I tried making them. Of course, I had to tweak the recipe again to suit my taste. If you want a quick snack, try making these at home. My son and husband loved them.

I like this recipe because there is no kneading and no yeast involved. I used to make these babies a long time ago and sold them. They were one of my bestsellers but that recipe involved a lot of kneading and some yeast. I don't have the time nor the patience for both today.

You need:


oil for frying

1 cup milk
1 large egg
2 cups APF (all-purpose flour)
2T sugar
4.5t baking powder
1/2t salt
1/4 cup butter, melted

For the glaze:
1.5c confectioner's sugar
3-4T milk
2t vanilla extract

ice cream scoop or spoon

Let's do this! 

Let's make the glaze first. Sift the confectioner's sugar into a bowl. Slowly stir in the milk and vanilla extract until the mixture is smooth. You want a thin glaze. If it's not thin enough, add 1T milk. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and set aside. 

Let's tackle the doughnuts. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Line a baking sheet with paper towels.

In a bowl, whisk the milk and egg. 

In a separate bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir the milk-egg mixture into the dry ingredients and then stir in the melted butter. Mix until a soft dough forms. Do not over mix.

When the oil is hot, drop a scoopful or spoonful of the mixture. Do not overcrowd the pan. Flip them in the oil when they are a golden brown. Transfer the cooked doughnuts to the lined baking sheet. 

Let the doughnuts cool slightly. Place them on top of a cooling rack atop the baking sheet. Dip them one-by-one into the glaze and transfer to the rack to allow the excess glaze to drip off. 

We liked this better cold but most people like hot doughnuts so whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!





Comments