Crunchy Chickpeas

I have been trying to make these crunchy chickpeas for the longest time. I have an old hand-me-down oven and the heat is not smack on. Most of the time it burns food on the lowest setting. So I have to be careful when using it. I need to literally watch the food as it cooks. But, stubborn me, I still continue to experiment with dishes that need an oven. The things I put myself through...

Anyway, my son loves chickpeas. I tried to make crunchy chickpeas once and failed but that didn't stop my son from cleaning out the bowl. So, I tried again. The results were better this time. Not quite there but better.


You need

a can of chickpeas
salt and pepper
Spanish paprika
garlic powder

Let's do this!

Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Remove any super loose skins. Spread the chickpeas on a paper towel and let them dry. This will take about 30 minutes to an hour. 

Preheat your oven. I'm sorry, I can't tell you how hot but I'd say about 200C. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I used Glad's baking paper. Evenly spread the chickpeas and bake for 40-60 minutes. When they are crunchy, they are done. I got them out too soon for fear that they would burn. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Spanish paprika. You can also use some sweet seasoning or even make it spicier. If you want to use honey, drizzle the honey and put the chickpeas back in the oven to caramelize them. 

My chickpeas turned out crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside. I wanted crunchy, crunchy, crunchy. Oh, well. At least they didn't burn and my son still loved them. I'll try again soon. 


Comments