Homemade Siomai


This is only my second attempt at siomai. The first one was a disaster. This was better although the taste needs some ooomph. It tastes okay but not like the siomai you buy from  restaurants or even Hen Lin but my husband and I agreed that it's actually not bad for something homemade and for my second attempt. If you want to try it, read on.

*I didn't use my bamboo steamer as it's too small but if you have one, use that for a more authentic flavor.

You need:

1 pack round wonton wrappers
1/4 kilo ground pork
1/8 kilo shrimps, deveined and finely chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon grated ginger or in my case, ginger powder
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper
egg, beaten for egg wash
minced carrot to top the siomai

Let's do this!

Mix together the pork, shrimp, soy sauce, ginger, sesame oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Spoon a teaspoon of the filling into the center of a wonton wrapper. Lightly brush the sides with egg wash. Squeeze the sides up until the wrapper forms a cup. Tuck in the sides and leave the filling exposed on top. Garnish with the minced carrots. 

Arrange in your steamer basket/tray or bamboo steamer. Be sure to put some water in the steamer. Steam the siomai for 12 to 15 minutes, until the filling is firm to the touch. Serve with soy sauce with calamansi and garlic chili oil.

Comments