Salpicao



Salpicao brings back memories of my childhood as it's one of the dishes that I regularly order from Cafe Elysee in the old SM stores. I have many favorites in that place and salpicao is one of them. I've tried, for many years, to replicate it and bring back the taste of my childhood and this is the closest that I've gotten.

If you are like me and you're missing Cafe Elysee's salpicao, try this recipe. This is the Filipino version, by the way,

You need:

1/2 kilo tender beef cut such as sirloin
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup Knorr seasoning
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Spanish paprika (optional) I'm allergic to this so I omit it
lots of garlic

butter 
garlic slices for garnish


Let's do this!

If your beef is not cut yet, cut them into bite-size pieces. In a bowl, mix olive oil, Knorr seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, paprika (if using) and minced garlic. Marinate the beef overnight or at least 2 hours.

In a pan, heat some olive oil. Brown the beef in batches. When you have cooked all of them, put them back in the pan and add butter. Cook until the butter is melted and the beef is to your desired doneness. I like well done as I like crispy bits on the edges. 

For the garnish, fry the garlic slices in olive oil. The garlic will burn so be careful and keep a close eye. Top on the beef and serve with rice. Oh, yum! You can also sprinkle some dried parsley on top for an added depth of flavor. 


Comments