Shrimp Chicharones


I love shrimp and it was really hard when my urticaria was active. Now that I can eat seafood again, I'm slowly incorporating my favorites into our diet. I have a bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer and I thought it would be great to use it for this recipe. And as usual, when we have chicharon, we eat it with munggo guisado.

You need:

small shrimps, cleaned and prepared
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
salt and pepper
garlic powder
1 egg
a splash of milk
a dash of hot sauce
canola oil for frying

Let's do this!

On a plate, combine the flour and cornstarch. Season it with salt and pepper and garlic powder. Mix well.

In a bowl, break the egg and add a splash of milk and a squirt (or more) of hot sauce. Whisk until frothy.

Heat some oil in a wok. Make sure that you have enough oil to deep fry your shrimp chicharones.

Dredge the shrimps in the flour mixture and shake off excess. Dip in the egg mixture then dredge again with the flour mixture. Shake off excess. Deep fry them in the oil. Don't overcrowd the pan. Remove from the pan and drain on wire racks. Don't use paper towels as they will make the chicharones soggy. I served this with some Sukang Pinakurat. Yum!

Comments