My Son Cooked His First Dish!



My son likes hanging out with me...well because he doesn't have a choice! Haha! But kidding aside, he really likes being in his mama's company. We like reading together, playing together, watching TV, etc. Sometimes even when his dad is around, he still likes to be with me. I don't bring my son with me to the kitchen as it's very tiny, hardly any space at all but one afternoon, we were both bored and I asked him if he wanted to cook dinner with me. He said yes and here's the result of that one afternoon of cooking.

This is kani fried rice. I did all the chopping and he did all the cooking on the stove. Yep, with supervision, of course. The ingredients are fairly simple. I just looked for leftovers and we got frozen mixed veggies and kani. I also added some pressed garlic (using a garlic press). Then I asked him to cook an egg. He cooked that egg you see in his plate all by himself. So proud of my little chef! He is only 3. He likes watching Chopped Junior and the Kid's Baking Championship. Well, he just likes watching the Food Network, period. I also added a sheet of nori because I like eating nori with fried rice.

Without further ado, here's the recipe.

Kani Fried Rice 

You need:

cold rice
frozen mixed veggies
kani (imitation crab), cut into rounds
chopped garlic
soy sauce
fish sauce
oyster sauce
salt and pepper
oil

Let's do this!

In a wok, heat some oil. Cook the garlic until fragrant. Add the frozen vegetables and cook for 2 minutes, stirring every now and then so that they won't burn. Add the kani. Don't worry if it falls apart. That's even better. Cook for a minute. Add the rice and break the clumps. We mashed them up with our hands to break the clumps even before dumping them into the wok. It's so much easier that way. 

In a bowl, mix together some soy sauce, fish sauce and oyster sauce. Measurements depend on your taste. Mix and add this to the rice. Mix the rice well. Taste. If it needs more salt, add salt. Then season with pepper. Mix. 

Serve with some fried eggs and some nori sheets. 


Comments