Sare's Mazapan de Pili


I've been discovering a lot of new food lately, thanks to my friend in the US, Ate B. She had some friends who were going to the States and so she asked me to buy some things for her for them to bring. She is such a huge foodie and because of that, I've discovered several foods that my whole family now enjoys. 

The first food that I tried that was new to me was Sinantulan. It's cotton fruit in coconut milk. This version that I tasted had crabs and small shrimps. It was delicious and lasted us for several meals. She asked some of her friends in Quezon to cook some for her. When the package arrived, there were several big containers of it! Ate B said to give one to my mom and sister and one to our mutual friend. 

I'm sorry I don't have a photo of it as it's only yesterday that I decided to blog about these new foods that she's been sharing with me and that Sinantulan was finished last week. 

Yesterday, she texted me that a package was coming from Bicol. One of the items there was this Mazapan de Pili from Sare's. 


She asked me to taste the different food and when I bit into this, it reminded me of my childhood summers spent in Bicol. This was the taste of my childhood. I'm not sure if I've tasted this brand before, but it's delicious. I immediately thought of pairing this with tea. I imagined eating it on a lazy afternoon with some green tea, which is exactly what my son and I did today. 



The bar has a nice chewy texture. It's not very chewy that it's annoying to chew. It has the right amount of chewiness. It's sweet so it pairs nicely with a bitter drink like coffee or tea. Just don't put a lot of sugar, or in our case, honey, in your drink. I don't recommend eating this with just water or as is. If you're not into sweets, this might be too sweet for you. I kept sipping tea after every bite. 

The pili taste is there and is unmistakable. I hope they have a bigger bar, though. This is a nice dessert or snack to serve your guests. Cut up the bars into squares and serve them on a pretty tray. 

I'm not a huge fan of the packaging though. It looks like chocolate or nougat from the outside. Inside, there's cardboard and some wax paper, maybe. The paper sticks to the bar and is annoying to remove when it gets wet. I immediately cut the bar up and stored it in a different container. I keep them in the fridge. The rest of the bars will fly to the US pretty soon. 

Thank you, Ate for this wonderful taste of Bicol!


 

Comments