Roast Beef

This is the last recipe that I will share with you for the Easter spread series. This is the first roast beef I've ever cooked, well, because this cut of beef is expensive! Thanks to my tita in the US who sent over some money to help make our Resurrection Sunday party possible!



You need:

Beef - I used sirloin and I asked my butcher to cut me some meat for roast beef. This is one long log of beef. 
salt and pepper
1 cup sherry or red wine - We had sherry so that's what I used
1 beef cube dissolved in 1 cup water 
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1 tablespoon butter


Let's do this!

Preheat the oven to 230C.

Pat the beef dry with paper towels. Rub the salt and pepper all over it. Place in an oven safe roasting dish. Place the beef in the oven and roast for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 140C. Cook until you reach your desired doneness. We like our meat well done so this took about 2 hours. 

Remove the roast from the oven and set aside to rest. Cover with foil. 

Get about one to two tablespoons of grease and place in a separate pan. Alternatively, you can drain the grease and leave about a tablespoon or two and heat the roasting pan over medium heat. Deglaze with the sherry. Add the broth and simmer to reduce by half. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water in a separate bowl. Add this mixture to the gravy and simmer until it thickens. 

Remove from heat. Mix in the butter and season with salt and pepper. I served the roast beef pre-sliced so that it will be easy for everyone to just get a piece. 

Comments