Kangkong Stalks in Coconut Milk (SOY-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, GLUTEN-FREE)



I think this dish is better known as gising-gising (gising= wake up) but I didn't call it that because this wasn't spicy at all. I was serving this to my mom and son and both don't like spicy food. Well, my son does like spicy food a little but I'm pretty sure he won't be able to handle the heat of gising-gising. It's also not supposed to be too soupy but my husband is a soup person so I added coconut milk.

You need:

kangkong stalks chopped into tiny piece
garlic
ginger
onions
coconut milk
green chili
1t bagoong (shrimp paste)
Himalayan salt and pepper
coconut oil

Let's do this!

1. In a pan, saute chopped onions in oil. Let cook until translucent. Add chopped garlic and a small piece of ginger. You can also add more ginger if you want. 

2. Add a teaspoon of bagoong. Mix. 

3. Add the kangkong stalks and mix everything together, cooking for about 30 seconds. 

4. Add the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper. Some people let the coconut milk boil (I do), some don't. Up to you if you just want it to simmer. I simmered this for about 5 minutes then I topped with the green chili. Serve with rice.  

Comments