Midnight Bowl

 



For most of my life, I never ate a midnight snack.

But as I grow older, my body’s requirements change. 

And now she requires a small meal before midnight. 

So I prepared a simple bowl of puttanesca. 


There is something about eating at night that feels… different.

Quieter.

The world has already slowed down.
No notifications. No expectations.
Just the soft clink of a fork against a bowl and the low hum of everything winding down.

The pasta was simple.

Olive oil, garlic, a little salt.
Anchovies melted into the sauce the way they always do—disappearing, but leaving something deeper behind.
A few olives.
Just enough to break the monotony.

And capers.


Nothing measured.
Nothing perfect.

Just made.

I didn’t plate it.

Didn’t garnish.

This was not that kind of meal.

This was the kind you make when your body asks for something—
not loudly,
not urgently,
but steadily enough that you listen.

I used to ignore it.

Push through.

Tell myself I didn’t need anything more for the day.

But now…

I’ve learned that there is a difference between hunger and requirement.

This wasn’t indulgence.

It was maintenance.

Quiet, unremarkable, necessary.

And maybe that’s what makes it beautiful.

No performance.
No audience.
No need to turn it into something more than what it is.

Just a bowl.

Just a moment.

Just enough.


I ate slowly.

Not because I was trying to be mindful.

But because there was nowhere else to go.

No next task waiting.

No one calling my name.

Just me, the soft weight of the night, and a bowl that didn’t need to impress anyone.

And when I finished—

I didn’t feel full.

I felt… settled.

Satisfied.


Maybe that’s what we need more of.

Not bigger meals.
Not better meals.

Just…

the right ones.

At the right time.

Even if that time is midnight. 


I’ll set the table again soon.


Lady E

Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment



Comments