There are certain cravings I can predict.
Before Flo arrives, burgers tend to start sounding particularly good to me. And because I already know this about myself, I decided to prepare for it instead of waiting until I was hungry and opening a delivery app.
So I stocked the freezer with burger patties.
Nothing elaborate. I ordered minced meat, seasoned it and formed them into patties. Just frozen patties waiting for the inevitable moment when my brain decided that only a burger would do.
I also had burger buns, frozen fries, melting cheese, and, rather conveniently, some leftover McDonald’s barbecue seasoning.
And ketchup.
Technically, we haven’t bought ketchup in almost a year.
This does not mean we have been living a ketchup-free existence. It means we somehow accumulated enough McDonald’s ketchup packets to sustain a small household for an unreasonable amount of time.
Please admire the evidence in the photo. 😂
My Little Fast-Food Freezer System
When the craving finally arrived, dinner took very little effort.
I cooked the burger patties straight from frozen, fried some frozen fries, added melting cheese to the burgers, and assembled everything on the buns.
Then the fries got a little McDonald’s barbecue seasoning because apparently even when I make my own fast food, McDonald’s still manages to sneak into the meal.
Ketchup packets went onto the plate.
Done.
It wasn’t a fancy burger. There was no complicated homemade sauce, towering pile of toppings, or artisanal bun requiring a twelve-step fermentation process.
It was simply a hot cheeseburger with fries and some dressing I whipped up.
And it was good.
Sometimes that’s exactly what I want.
Fast Food Without the Delivery
This is actually one of my favorite reasons for keeping certain convenience foods in the freezer.
There are nights when I don’t necessarily want restaurant food. I want something salty, crispy, cheesy, comforting, and fast.
Those aren’t quite the same thing.
Having burger patties and fries in the freezer means I can satisfy that particular craving without ordering an entire meal for delivery. Add buns and cheese, and I basically have my own little fast-food counter sitting in my kitchen.
It also lets me make exactly as much as we want.
And considering how easy the whole thing was, I felt rather pleased with my advance planning.
Past Me had anticipated Future Me’s burger craving.
Future Me was delighted.
Excellent teamwork. 😎
There Was Just One Tiny Problem…
We ate these before Flo actually arrived.
And apparently my carefully planned cheeseburger intervention had merely been the opening act.
Because once Flo really showed up?
I still wanted a McDonald’s Quarter Pounder.
😂
Yes.
After stocking my freezer specifically so I wouldn’t need to order burgers, making burgers at home, eating said burgers and thoroughly enjoying them…
I eventually bought the Quarter Pounder anyway.
And naturally, I have photographic evidence of that meal too.
We’ll save that story for another day.
For now, I still consider the freezer burgers a win. They were simple, satisfying, inexpensive compared with ordering another full meal, and ready whenever the craving appeared.
So if you have your own predictable comfort-food cravings, consider giving your freezer a tiny fast-food section.
Burger patties. Fries. Maybe some buns tucked away. Cheese in the refrigerator.
And, apparently, approximately nine hundred ketchup packets accumulated from previous McDonald’s orders.
You’ll be ready for almost anything.
Almost.
Because sometimes Flo arrives and demands the Quarter Pounder anyway. 😂🍔
—
I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment


Comments
Post a Comment