Kalingking



I love native delicacies. The problem is a lot of them are too sweet for me or too rich. The dish above is called Kalingking. If I'm not mistaken, this is a delicacy from Bicol. Don't mind the kalingking on the right as I got crazy with the sugar...

I had a problem with this dish. I reacted to the sweet potato. Actually, for a while there, I thought I reacted to the rice flour then I realized that it was the sweet potato as I suddenly remembered a Sunday morning breakfast of potato fries that gave me urticaria wheals. Hmmm... maybe it's the type of sweet potatoes. I should really try the purple variety. Anyway, I'm blabbering.

Legend
c- cup

You need:

2 sweet potatoes (yellow variety. If you try the purple, please let me know how it turns out)
1/2 c brown sugar
3c rice flour
1c water
oil for deep frying

Let's do this!

Heat the oil. 

Cut the sweet potatoes into thin strips. 

Put the water in a bowl. Add the flour and sugar. Stir until well blended. Add the sweet potatoes and coat well. Get a bunch and slide gently into the oil. Fry in batches and until golden brown. 


Comments