I have been craving churros.
Not just any churros, either. I’ve been missing the kind of churros I associate with Dulcinea: warm, crisp, comforting, and even better when there’s something rich and chocolatey waiting for you to dip them into.
Unfortunately, my last attempt at satisfying that craving didn’t quite work out.
I tried the Krispy Kreme churros, and while I had high hopes for them, they weren’t really what I was looking for. That left me with one of those annoying little food cravings that refuses to close itself properly.
So, naturally, when I spotted a box of frozen mini churros while shopping online from S&R, I clicked Add to Cart.
Perhaps this would finally do it.
Churros Without Leaving the House
There is something very appealing about having frozen churros sitting in your freezer.
No restaurant trip. No delivery hunt when the craving suddenly appears. Just take some out, cook them, and theoretically you have warm churros whenever you want them.
The mini size was also promising. They looked like the sort of thing you could make for an afternoon snack without committing to an enormous dessert.
Once cooked, they looked good enough. Golden, crisp-looking, and conveniently bite-sized.
But then we discovered one problem.
There was no chocolate dip.
Excuse me?
Maybe some people are perfectly happy eating churros on their own, but when I’m craving churros, chocolate is very much part of the arrangement.
Fortunately, we had Hershey’s chocolate syrup at home, so our churro emergency was quickly resolved.
So, Were They Good?
They were… okay.
Not bad. Not something I regretted buying. But also not the glorious answer to my Dulcinea craving that I had secretly hoped they would be.
By the way, for my international readers, if you’re vacationing here, try the Dulcinea churros. It’s not the churros of my Dulcinea childhood, but it’s still good.
The chocolate syrup definitely helped. Dunking a warm churro into chocolate made the whole experience much more satisfying, although I would have preferred the box to come with its own dipping sauce.
And perhaps the biggest indication of how we felt about them is this:
We didn’t finish the box.
In this house, that says quite a lot.
They were perfectly serviceable frozen churros, but they didn’t have that irresistible quality that makes you keep reaching for another one even after you’ve already decided you’re done.
Would I Buy Them Again?
Maybe, but probably not anytime soon.
I like the idea of keeping frozen churros at home, so I haven’t abandoned the concept altogether. I think my next move would be to try a few other frozen churro brands first.
Somewhere out there might be a frozen churro capable of scratching that very specific Dulcinea itch.
This one just wasn’t quite it.
So the churro hunt continues.
And apparently, thanks to that disappointing Krispy Kreme experiment, I now have an ongoing churro subplot in my life.
At least it’s a delicious problem to investigate. 😂
—
I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment


Comments
Post a Comment