The Little Pantry Restock That Made Me Want to Cook

 



Sometimes, I don’t need a new recipe.

I don’t need a beautifully organized meal plan.

I don’t even need particularly exciting ingredients.

Sometimes, I just need to open my pantry and see possibilities.

I realized this recently while putting away a small grocery restock.

It wasn’t even a particularly big one.

There were cans of sardines and tuna, some honey, chives, Maldon salt, tortillas, iced tea, Pocky, and a few other things that needed replenishing.

Nothing revolutionary.

Nobody is looking at a can of sardines and thinking, Behold! Culinary inspiration!

Well.

Apparently, I am.

Because somewhere between putting away the sardines and finding a place for everything else, the gears inside my domestic-goddess brain started turning.

Suddenly, I knew what I wanted to cook.

Not just one meal, either.

I was mentally assembling practically an entire day of food.

Breakfast could be this.

Lunch could use that.

I could make something with the tortillas.

Those sardines would be good with rice.

Maybe I could use the tuna tomorrow.

And wait, do we still have eggs?

One ingredient reminded me of another ingredient already sitting in the refrigerator. That reminded me of something in the freezer. And suddenly I wasn’t staring into the kitchen wondering what on earth I was going to feed everyone.

I had options.


That was when I realized something.

It’s not always that I don’t have food to cook.

Sometimes, I just don’t feel inspired to cook it.

When the refrigerator starts looking a little bare and the pantry shelves have too many empty spaces, my brain seems to interpret that as:

There is nothing here.

Which is usually not true.

There might be meat in the freezer. There might be rice, pasta, seasonings, vegetables, sauces and perfectly usable ingredients scattered around the kitchen.

Technically, I could make dinner.

But somehow, an almost-empty pantry doesn’t make me want to create anything.

Give me a little variety, though?

A few colorful packages. Some tins lined up on the shelf. A fresh jar of something interesting. A couple of pantry staples returning to their usual places.

Suddenly, the kitchen wakes up again.

And apparently, so do I.

Maybe that’s why I enjoy grocery shopping more than I probably should.

It isn’t only about buying food.

I’m buying possibilities.

A tin of sardines can become a quick lunch.

Tortillas can become wraps, quesadillas, or whatever concoction I decide qualifies as dinner that evening.

A jar of honey might end up in a sauce, a dressing, or something sweet.

Even the little things matter because they add color and variety back into the kitchen.

And variety, I’m realizing, is one of the things that makes me want to cook.

I like having choices.

I like opening a cupboard and letting my eyes wander until two completely unrelated ingredients introduce themselves to each other in my head.

You two.

Come with me.

We’re making lunch.

Maybe this is also why rigid meal planning has never been quite as exciting to me as simply having a well-stocked kitchen.

I like deciding according to what sounds good that day.

And for that, I don’t necessarily need an enormous pantry overflowing with food.

I just need enough.

Enough staples.

Enough variety.

Enough little sparks of inspiration waiting on the shelves.

This particular restock wasn’t extravagant or even especially interesting.

It was just a handful of familiar things coming home to the pantry.

But by the time I finished putting everything away, I wanted to cook again.

And sometimes, that’s all a kitchen needs.

Not a complete makeover.

Not thirty new ingredients.

Just a little more color, a little more variety, and enough possibility to get those domestic-goddess gears turning again.

Now.

About those sardines…


I’ll set the table again soon.

Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment


Comments