There are breakfasts that are planned.
And then there are breakfasts that happen because you open the refrigerator and start negotiating with the leftovers.
This was the second kind.
I had leftover pork belly.
There was tocino.
There was danggit.
I wanted miso soup.
And apparently I also wanted rice vinegar on the side.
Does any of this belong together?
Probably not.
Did I eat all of it together anyway?
Absolutely.
I think we sometimes have a strangely rigid idea of what a meal is supposed to look like. The flavors should coordinate. The dishes should make sense together. There should be some sort of theme.
Meanwhile, this breakfast had no theme whatsoever.
It was salty, sweet, sour, crispy, fatty, comforting and slightly confused.
And it worked.
The miso soup was warm and soothing against all the fried food. The rice gave everything somewhere neutral to land. The vinegar cut through the richness of the pork belly and tocino. And the danggit was simply being danggit, which is reason enough for it to be there.
More importantly, nothing went to waste.
I didn’t need to invent a new breakfast when there was already perfectly good food in the refrigerator.
Sometimes feeding yourself doesn’t need to be more complicated than that.
Open the fridge.
See what needs eating.
Add rice.
Apparently, add miso soup.
And call it breakfast.
Would I deliberately cook this exact combination again?
Of course! That’s where the fun (and flavor) live - in my madness! 😏
——
I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment

Comments
Post a Comment