The Day I Had Time for Three Proper Meals

 


Some days disappear into the atelier.

I look up and somehow lunch has become a donut and fries, dinner needs to arrive at the door, and I’ve spent more time thinking about paper, paint and measurements than anything happening in my kitchen.

But somewhere in the middle of the atelier madness, I got a break.

A real one.

And apparently, as I look at the photos in my gallery,  I celebrated by feeding myself properly all day. 😆

Breakfast

Bacon and waffles.

Nothing experimental. Nothing requiring an explanation.

Just crisp bacon, warm waffles and syrup finding its way into all those little squares.

It felt surprisingly luxurious after several days when meals had mostly been fitted around whatever I was making.

Lunch



For lunch, I made a beef, potato and cheese casserole with garlic bread.

This was considerably more ambitious than grabbing whatever happened to be within reach.

Beef, potatoes and cheese baked together until everything became rich and comforting, with garlic bread on the side (which I also made, mind you) because clearly I had decided to make the most of my brief return to civilization.

It was the sort of lunch that makes you want to sit down properly for it.

So I did.

Dinner



And somehow, I was still cooking by dinner.

Chicken drumsticks and potatoes in a creamy stew, served with rice.

Three actual meals.

In one day.

During atelier season.

Who was she? 😂

It wasn’t a particularly extraordinary day of food. There was no restaurant reservation, elaborate recipe or special occasion behind any of it.

That’s exactly why I remember it.

I had enough room in my day to cook.

Enough time to sit down.

Enough attention left to decide what I wanted to eat instead of simply asking what would keep me going while I worked.

Tomorrow, the atelier would swallow the schedule again.

But for one little day between all the making, breakfast was breakfast, lunch was lunch, and dinner was dinner.

And that felt rather nice.


I’ll set the table again soon.

Lady E

Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment




Comments