The Great S&R Repackaging Operation

There is one thing about shopping at S&R that I always seem to forget.

Everything is enormous.

Of course, I know this when I’m standing inside the store. I can see perfectly well that I am putting a two-kilogram bag of cheese into my cart.



And yet, somehow, it doesn’t seem quite as enormous until I get home.

Then I take it out of the box and think:

What have I done? 🤣

After our S&R speed run, I had quite a bit of ingredient prep to do before everything could go into the freezer.

First, the shrimp.



I bought a large tray and divided it into smaller portions. I do this because I rarely need an entire tray of shrimp for one meal. This way, I can simply take out one bag whenever I need it.

Much easier.

I did the same thing with the chicken.



Nothing particularly glamorous happening here. Just me, my kitchen tongs, a pile of little bags, and an unreasonable amount of food waiting to be dealt with. 😆

And then there was the cheese.



I buy the big two-kilogram bag of shredded pizza topping instead of buying several smaller packs.

Yes.

Two kilograms.

Of cheese.

🤣

My boys love cheese. I’m not a huge fan mainly because of sensitivities and this is the only cheese I can tolerate, so I buy this. 

It looks slightly ridiculous sitting on table, but we actually go through it. I use shredded cheese for pizza, pasta, sandwiches, baked dishes and whatever else I decide requires a small avalanche of cheese that day.

The giant bag usually lasts us around three months.

I divide it into smaller bags before freezing it so I don’t have to keep opening and defrosting the entire thing.

Apparently, my chosen containers for this very sensible household system were…

Hello Kitty bags.



Naturally.

Glow Girls from my other editorial platform know that I like Hello Kitty. Been a fan since I was a child. Oh, and if you’re a Glow Girl, hello! Nice to see you here!

So there I was, portioning two kilograms of cheese into tiny Hello Kitty bags while surrounded by kitchen tongs.

This is adulthood, I suppose.

You buy groceries in industrial quantities and then make them cute.

And honestly?

I rather like this part. Well maybe not so much because a 2kg bag of shredded cheese is the final boss of ingredient prepped. 

But there’s something satisfying about coming home with an unwieldy grocery haul and slowly turning it into food that is ready for everyday life.

A bag of shrimp becomes several future dinners.

A tray of chicken becomes meals I don’t have to think about yet.

And one enormous cheese pillow becomes a freezer full of little Hello Kitty parcels.

Future me will open that freezer on a busy day and be very pleased with present me.

Especially when she needs cheese.

Which, really, is often.

Next: the important question.

Was the S&R grilled salmon head and roasted pork belly actually any good?

We ate them so you know I have opinions. 😏


I’ll set the table again soon.

Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment


Comments