Pork Belly and Long Beans Adobo



Adobo is arguably the national dish of the Philippines. It has many variations depending on each family and province. I make different types of adobo but I like mixing up the ingredients. Traditional Filipino adobo is just pork or pork and chicken. For this version, I used pork belly and long beans.


I made a mistake with this dish. I should have pre-cooked the pork belly before making it into an adobo because it was a little tough. So, if you want to cook this dish, cook the belly first for an hour or so until it becomes tender. 

You need:

pork belly
long beans
lots of garlic
onions
soy sauce
vinegar
water
bay leaf
peppercorns
salt 

Let's do this!

Pre-cook the pork belly by boiling it in water for an hour or so. Set aside. 

In a pan, saute the garlic and onions. Add the pork belly and cook until brown on all sides. Add the vinegar, water and soy sauce. Add the bay leaf and peppercorns as well. Let this boil and then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Taste. Adjust seasoning if needed. Add salt if needed. Add the long beans and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Serve with rice. I served this with some Krispy Kangkong


Comments