There are moments in the kitchen when you discover something new and immediately realize that you have, in fact, been doing that thing for quite some time. You just didn’t know what it was called.
That was me with tatsuta-age.
For a while, I had been experimenting with Japanese fried chicken at home. I played around with different marinades, coatings, and especially different starches, trying to figure out which combination produced the texture I liked best.
And through all those experiments, I simply called everything karaage.
Japanese fried chicken? Karaage.
Potato starch? Karaage.
Different coating? Still karaage.
Apparently, I had created my own extremely simplified Japanese fried chicken classification system.
Then one day, I watched a Japanese mom cooking what looked very much like one of the fried chicken variants I had been making.
Except she called it tatsuta-age.
Nani kore??
Naturally, I had to investigate.
Wait, Tatsuta-Age and Karaage Aren’t Exactly the Same?
This sent me down one of my favorite kinds of rabbit holes: the culinary kind.
I discovered that karaage is actually a broader Japanese cooking technique, referring to ingredients that are lightly coated and deep-fried. Chicken karaage is probably the version most people outside Japan recognize, and recipes can use flour, starch, or a combination of the two.
Tatsuta-age is closely related, but more specific. It traditionally involves marinating the meat, commonly chicken, in seasonings such as soy sauce and mirin before coating it in potato starch and frying it.
Suddenly, some of my previous experiments made much more sense.
Changing the coating wasn’t merely a tiny adjustment to the same recipe. The ingredients and technique could produce noticeably different fried chicken, and some of the versions I had been making were much closer to tatsuta-age than the karaage I thought I was making.
Apparently, my kitchen experiments had wandered into an actual Japanese culinary distinction without informing me first.
I love when that happens.
When I stumble into something wonderful.
So, Naturally, I Made Tatsuta-Age
Once I understood what I had been looking at, there was only one reasonable response.
I needed to make it deliberately this time.
I marinated pieces of chicken, coated them in potato starch, and fried them until the outside became wonderfully crisp and craggy.
That potato starch coating is one of the things I particularly love about tatsuta-age. Instead of a thick breading, you get a relatively light crust with those irregular crispy patches that make fried chicken so satisfying.
And because this was dinner in our house, the chicken wasn’t alone.
I also made a platter of sizzling tofu.
Now, technically, the tofu could have been the main viand.
Practically?
I live with Zac the Devourer TM.
That child can inhale tofu.
Putting one platter of sizzling tofu on the dinner table and assuming it will peacefully feed everyone is the culinary equivalent of leaving an unattended snack beside a very determined vacuum cleaner.
So Mama made a second viand.
Hence, tatsuta-age.
Sometimes menu planning is less about carefully balancing complementary dishes and more about knowing exactly who is going to attack which serving platter first.
Tatsuta-age.
And now that I know the name, I can finally stop pointing at every piece of Japanese-style fried chicken I make and declaring:
Karaage!
Although knowing me, there is an excellent chance I will discover yet another variation and have another nani kore?? moment soon.
Honestly, I hope I do.
Those are some of my favorite moments in the kitchen.
—
I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment

Comments
Post a Comment