There are some food launches I can look at, think, Oh, that looks interesting, and then peacefully continue with my life.
The McDonald’s Choco Lava Puff was not one of them.
I saw the ad for McDonald’s new desserts after they phased out the Apple Pie, and that was basically it. The Choco Lava Puff had entered my brain.
By that evening, I had ordered it.
I mean, look at the premise: flaky chocolate pastry with warm chocolate filling inside. On paper, this sounded extremely promising.
Unfortunately, the actual experience was a little more complicated.
First Bite of the Choco Lava Puff
Mine arrived warm, which was expected. The chocolate filling inside was still warm too, so breaking into the puff gave me that lovely molten-chocolate moment I had been expecting.
And there was certainly chocolate.
Quite a lot of it, actually.
As photographic evidence will demonstrate, eating this thing neatly may require skills I do not possess. At some point, I had chocolate on the puff, chocolate on my fingers, and a particularly impressive streak of chocolate running down my hand.
The Choco Lava Puff had apparently decided that if I was going to review it, I was going to wear some of it too.
But Did I Actually Like It?
This is where things get less exciting.
The chocolate filling was enjoyable, particularly because it arrived warm, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the puff pastry itself.
Some parts of the pastry were simply too thick for my liking. Instead of that delicate, flaky texture I wanted around the chocolate, I sometimes felt like I had to work through too much pastry to get to the good part.
There was also an aftertaste that I didn’t particularly enjoy.
My son wasn’t blown away by it either.
Our collective verdict was basically:
It was… so-so.
Not terrible. Not something we hated. But certainly not the instant we need to order this again dessert I thought it might become when that advertisement first called my name.
I would also like to say that I’m not a huge fan of warm desserts. I even like my doughnuts and pastries cold.
Would I Order the McDonald’s Choco Lava Puff Again?
At this point?
Probably not on its own.
There are other desserts I’d choose first, and the pastry-to-chocolate situation didn’t quite work for me.
But here’s the funny thing.
I wasn’t completely ready to give up on the Choco Lava Puff.
Because a few weeks later, I looked at one of these again and had an idea.
A very simple idea.
An idea that involved another McDonald’s dessert.
And suddenly…
the Choco Lava Puff became much more interesting.
But that experiment deserves its own post. 😏🍫
—
I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment



Comments
Post a Comment