I need to begin this review with a confession:
I don’t even like-like these.
They’re okay.
And yet, somehow, I kept eating them.
These are the little Cheetos Mini Cheese & Bacon balls, and the first time I tried one, my reaction was essentially:
Hmm.
So naturally, I ate another one.
Not because the first one was spectacular. Not because I had immediately discovered my newest snack obsession. It was more because the first taste somehow felt… incomplete.
Maybe it’s because they’re so tiny.
You pop one into your mouth, get this quick little hit of cheese and bacon flavor, swallow, and your taste buds go:
Wait.
What exactly was that?
So you take another one.
The second piece provides a little more information.
Okay. I see. That’s what it tastes like.
Mystery solved.
Except after you swallow that one, your brain apparently decides the research methodology was flawed and further testing is required.
One more.
For science. 🧪😂
And this continued for considerably longer than any respectable scientific study should have.
The Curious Case of the Snack That’s Just… Okay
That’s what makes these funny to me.
Usually, when I keep reaching for a snack, it’s because I absolutely love it. These were different. I wasn’t sitting there thinking, These are incredible.
I was thinking:
I think I need another one.
There’s something about that tiny size and savory cheese-and-bacon flavor that makes one piece feel insufficient. You barely have time to register what you’ve eaten before it’s gone.
So perhaps the real trick isn’t that they’re irresistible.
Perhaps they’re simply too tiny to provide closure.
And apparently my taste buds dislike unresolved storylines as much as I do.
Then We Forgot About Them(!)
The original cover cracked, so I transferred the remaining snacks into a jar.
And then we promptly forgot the jar existed.
As one does.
When I eventually rediscovered them and tried one, the texture had changed. They weren’t spoiled, but they had lost their original crispness and become slightly chewy.
Makunat as we call it in Filipino.
That was when I decided I was done.
My son, however?
He happens to like snacks when they get that slightly chewy texture.
He ate the entire remainder in one sitting.
Problem solved. 😂
Would I Buy Them Again?
Possibly.
This is one of those snacks I can imagine tossing into the cart again someday, not because I’m desperately craving it, but because I remember that strangely compelling little cycle:
One.
Hmm.
Two.
Okay…
Three.
Wait.
Four.
For science.
And suddenly there’s considerably less in the container than there was five minutes ago.
Apparently a snack doesn’t have to be extraordinary to keep you coming back.
Sometimes it just needs to leave your taste buds with an open loop.
And I hate open loops.
—
I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment

Comments
Post a Comment