What I Eat When I’m Deep in Atelier Mode

 


There are days when I think about what I’m going to eat long before mealtime.

And then there are atelier days.

When I’m deep into making something, food becomes less of an event and more of something I remember somewhere between cutting paper, checking measurements, finishing an order, and wondering how several hours disappeared without asking permission.

This was one of those days.

My snack-slash-lunch was a Dunkin’ mochi chocolate donut and Meadows purple fries.

Yes. Together.

No, I will not be defending this combination. šŸ˜†

I do happen to love sweet-salty combos. And the texture variation doesn’t hurt, too. 

I was in the middle of atelier work, and they were there. The donut was soft and chocolatey, the fries were purple, and apparently that was enough qualification to become a meal that afternoon.

There is something funny about creative work. I can spend an unreasonable amount of time fussing over tiny details on something I’m making, but when I’m properly absorbed in it, my own lunch gets reduced to:

Food? Present? Excellent.

By evening, however, I was done.

Not necessarily with the atelier. My brain probably still had seventeen little tabs open about things I wanted to finish.

But I was done with making another decision.

So I had dinner delivered.

Kenny Rogers Roasters has been around for so long that this isn’t going to be a review. I wasn’t ordering because I wanted to discover something new. I wanted something familiar that I knew I would enjoy.



I got the ribs with rice and sides (potatoes and coleslaw).

And after spending so much of the day making things with my own hands, there was something particularly lovely about dinner simply arriving at the door.

No preparation.

No figuring out what to cook.

No additional project disguised as a meal.

Just dinner.

I think that’s one of the quieter luxuries of food delivery that we don’t talk about enough. Sometimes you’re not paying for the novelty of restaurant food.

You’re paying to have one decision taken off your plate.

Literally.

And on a day when most of my energy had already gone into creating things, that was exactly what I needed.

The mochi donut and purple fries got me through the afternoon.

The ribs took care of dinner.

And I got to stay inside that little creative world I’d built around myself for just a bit longer.

Sometimes what I’m craving isn’t really a particular food.

Sometimes I just want dinner to be the one thing I don’t have to make.


—

I’ll set the table again soon.

Lady E

Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment



Comments