Apparently, My Ancestors Are Still Arguing About Breakfast


A few months ago, I wrote about what happens when you’re French and Filipino at breakfast.

My French ancestors demanded chocolate bread from France (of course).

My Filipino ancestors demanded pancit.

Apparently, the matter was never settled.

Because here we are again.

This time, though, the Filipino contingent brought bihon. 😆

And the French: Pain au chocolat.

I made a big batch with shrimp, chicken, mushrooms, cabbage and carrots. And naturally, when breakfast came around, I put a generous serving on my plate.

Then I added a pain au chocolat.

Because why choose?

I’ve already waxed poetic about my love for L’Artizan’s pain au chocolat. It’s big, flaky, properly filled with chocolate, and remains undefeated after my son and I have tried practically every pain au chocolat that crosses our path.

And pancit?

Pancit and I have history.

It took me years to learn how to cook it properly. My grandmother made the kind people raved about, while I spent a considerable amount of time botching mine.

But bihon and I eventually reached an understanding.

So now I have this.

A plate that makes absolutely no attempt to choose a culinary nationality.

Flaky French pastry filled with chocolate.

A glorious mound of Filipino noodles.

Carbs beside carbs.

My French ancestors are pleased.

My Filipino ancestors are pleased.

My nutritionist, if I had one, might have questions.

Oh, wait. I am a nutrition coach. 

But I do not have any problems with this meal. 😏

Some breakfasts are balanced.

Mine apparently balance two entire ancestral demands on one plate.

And frankly, I think everyone won.



——

I’ll set the table again soon.
Lady E
Founder, Lady E Eats
Where food becomes story, and every table holds a moment


Comments